University of Kentucky College of Law

University of Kentucky College of Law

Add to compare
Basic Information
Type: 
Public
Enrollment: 
392

University of Kentucky College of Law, in Lexington, Ky., is the best value law school in the region and the ninth best in the nation.

The law school combines low in-state tuition, at $23,783, with a strong bar pass rate and an excellent employment rate, at 94.7 percent.

“I think one of the stand-out aspects of our law school is our focus on finding our graduates jobs,” said Dean David Brennen. “We have an expansive view of the job market and we work very hard. About 75 percent of our students find jobs in Kentucky and the other 25 percent are in other states across the country.”

The law school was founded in 1908, but its heritage dates back to 1799, when Transylvania University was founded as the first law school west of the Alleghany Mountains. That law school, which was private, was supported by the state until the state chose to found University of Kentucky.

In 1913, the College established the nation's first law school trial practice program, and its Kentucky Law Journal is the tenth-oldest student-run law review in the nation. 

UK Law offers students a variety of clinical and externship experiences. The UK Legal Clinic gives students the opportunity to represent low-income or elderly individuals, as well as UK students in a variety of civil legal matters. 

In addition, UK Law offers several externships for course credit, in which students can obtain experience in applied research, fact gathering, interviewing, counseling, negotiation and trial advocacy. 

The university is building a new facility, which it expects to open in fall 2019. 

Admission Profile
Application Deadline: 
3/15
Application Fee: 

$50

Financial Aid Deadline: 

3/15

 LSATGPA
75th Percentile1573.74
Median1563.46
25th Percentile1513.23
Financial Profile
 ResidentNon-Resident
Tuition$23,783$47,343
Tuition Part-time
Living Expenses
Median grant$9250
Percent receiving grants74.00%
Estimated net tuition
Employment & Bar Exam Profile
 Rate
Post-grad employment 94.70%
NJ Employment90.90
Bar Passage78.45%
State70.73%
Academic Profile
Best Law Schools 2018: Best Value: 
A
Employment 2018: 
A
Concentrations: 
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Business, Corporate, Banking
Criminal Law and Procedure
Employment and Labor Law
Estate Planning
Family Law/Child & Family
Health Law
Real Estate Transactions
Tax Law
Website: 
www.law.uky.edu